05 November 2005

prequel to the sequel?

(the beginning)

I'm sure this is not at all what you had in mind, Sarooo, but it is for you just the same.


Our meeting had all the earmarks of a great story we'd tell at our wedding, and for that I should've known it was doomed. We spent 4 years at the same college but didn't meet until our graduation rehearsal when our surnames put Ted and I side by side. There wouldn't have been much to say, if not for two things: we discovered Splice was a mutual friend, and I pulled out a 1974 yearbook I'd recently received that was full of hippies, nudity, glamour, and old pictures of a few professors still at the college.

Six years later, Splice got married on campus, and the seating chart for the reception put Ted and I next to each other again. By the end of the night, Splice was telling me to go smooch him.

A friend of mine from grad school happened to be teaching at the college that year, so I was staying with him for the weekend. It was after midnight, so Ted offered to walk me back to Marc's place. When we reached the small front porch, I was relieved to see that the door was slightly ajar. Marc lived in a house with a few apartments, but his bell for the front door wasn't working which meant you had to bang or yell until he noticed.

I stood on the step above Ted which made me a little taller than him as we said goodnight.

NEXT>>>

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with that. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for checking out my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Neil. I was sort of going back and forth on writing more of it, but since there's interest, and it's starting to come to me how to write it, the saga will be continued. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and? then what happened?

    -B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to scroll up. This is the next installment:
    http://tallerthanaveragetales.blogspot.com/2005/11/sequel-to-prequel.html

    There's more to come, but I haven't written it yet.

    ReplyDelete