02 November 2005

At the bar after the wedding reception

In my last post, I mentioned a guy that I was interested in after meeting him at a wedding. We'd actually met once before; Ted and I sat next to each other for the rehearsal and graduation from college. Six years later, we were back on campus at our mutual friend's wedding.

We hung out for hours. After we closed out the reception venue, all of the young adults spent a few more hours at the Dutch Cabin, a Mexican restaurant/bar, that many of us had frequented years before.

With a big grin, Splice reached across the table, placing her hand behind my neck and pulled me diagonally across. Cheek to cheek, she spoke into my right ear, “So, are you and Ted hitting it off?”

My cheeks started to burn. She could probably feel it: if not by actual warmth, certainly by body language. She continued, “Because you're two of my closest friends, and I love you dearly. So go smooch.” She planted a kiss on my cheek and let me go.

I straightened up still looking at her. I didn't speak, but there was no need. I stepped back, put on my jacket and waited for Ted as he made his rounds of good-byes for the night. Splice pulled him close too, and I'd guess they had much the same conversation.

Apparently I'd left my mind open to read. Or maybe my heart. Considering it was her wedding day, she wasn't supposed to have time to notice; if she did, then the whole end of her table probably knew that I liked Ted. A few years earlier, I probably would've been mortified into hiding my feelings just to prove her wrong. Instead, beautifully, any embarrassment I felt at being read so easily made me grin and laugh.

NEXT>>>

NB: names changed

4 comments:

  1. These stories are great, and I admire how you are sharing these personal vignettes. I tend to stall telling stories like yours, yet these are the gems you remember. I envy you this. (But in a good way.) Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, encouragement is always appreciated because I stall on these stories too. I just think about the kinds of stories I like to read at other blogs, and I suck it up, and click publish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope there's a sequel to this story. did you smooch or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruh-roh, I wasn't planning on a sequel, but I'll think about it. And yes, much smooching to be had.

    ReplyDelete