05 November 2005

The tipping point

I was annoyed because I had other things on my agenda yesterday when mom was gungho about pulling the tall black chest out of my room.

I had assumed it was completely full of her stuff, but some drawers were actually empty because of a kerosene smell emanating from them. Like much old furniture, the drawers were shallow, so I'd never been interested in using it anyway. Having it gone though opened up the room immensely. For the first time since I came home, the room feels like it has more stuff that's mine in it than isn't.

Oddly this served as a reminder that I need to get my act together and move out. One of these days...

4 comments:

  1. So in an ideal world, what would this "pulling your act together" result in: where would you be living, and what would be your profession?

    I apologize if I'm being too curious here (bad kitty, bad kitty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, those are the two big q's. I'd like to live in a house on my own about an hour from here where the area is more developed, and has a larger percentage of young people. As for profession, the simple answer is I'm not sure, but at the same time not just anything will do. Most of the jobs that are more readily available are just jobs, not careers, and wouldn't pay enough for me to live in a house on my own.

    It's difficult to see a benefit to struggling so much for a life I pretty much have already. My work experiences have taught me that merit has little if anything to do with success. Aside from money and health care plans, I don't much see the point of work. I've seen people's life's work dismantled in a matter of months, and have had the same happen to me on lesser scales. This all ties into the larger existential quandary of what's the point to anything?

    what was the question? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear bluddy, this is the kind of thinking that will give you nothing but sorrow (though I know exactly what you mean!). I hope you don't mind me saying so!

    But if you start with something that's not too ambitious, but still nice to achieve - you might get the ball rolling in the right direction, and off you go. Don't forget the ladybugs that paid you a visit - it's not for naught!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't mind. I think 'angst' might be more apropos than 'sorrow' but I know what you mean.

    "...something that's not too ambitious, but still nice to achieve..."

    That's the idea... it's just easier said than found.

    ReplyDelete