09 November 2005

Mind soothing

So often of late when I see trailers that interest me, I have not followed through: I put it off and then the movie is gone and it no longer matters. This afternoon was overcast and cold; I was having the usual second thoughts: there was literal stuff I needed to deal with, but I knew I needed to go. I just needed it.

I went to see Good night, and good luck., and despite the sizable, murmuring retirement crowd, I enjoyed it.

Later, when my parents got home, my mom called up to tell me they had my book. Just this afternoon, I'd mentioned that I'd given up hope that one of my requests would ever show up at the library. I'd intended to re-request this evening, but there was no need.

In fact, I've already finished it: A Man without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. He discusses many things regarding the current status of the U.S. in relation to itself and the planet which all depress me, and yet I find it very reassuring to see it in print. I loved the book. It was just what I needed today.

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that kind of confirmation does me even more down. But good for you!

    You really read it all in an evening? Lucky you who reads so fast... I'm such a slow reader, even if I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling the way I wrote that might not convey the right tone. It's more that I felt a resounding YES! within me as I read which made it positive for me.

    It's a short book with reasonably sized type, illustrations, and breaks so the text isn't very dense. I doubt it would take you very long to read though reading a foreign language would certainly be a good excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved "good night and good luck."

    i was so impressed with teh technical stuff - teh lighting, set choices, angles - they all set the mood and time really well.

    -b*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like b&w. It takes a different mindset to shoot.

    I thought they did a great job incorporating the archival footage.

    ReplyDelete