30 November 2005

boy with brain

I got my hair cut this afternoon, and I have to say I'm giving tattoo guy the thumbs up. I think he's actually the first guy to ever have cut my hair; he was a welcomed change after my last cut.

As I explained how much I wanted cut off, he made suggestions based on looking at me while still being willing to take my instructions literally later if that's what I preferred. I always appreciate a hairdresser with the skill to look at someone and suggest what would work best for that individual. As soon as he'd done that, I knew I was in good hands.

His forearms were largely covered by tattoos, but his ink was diffused by his body hair. Hairy tattoos were not something I'd ever really considered. I wondered if he'd had to shave before he got them.

A few minutes of snips later, he said, "Perfect," and handed me a mirror so I could look at the back. He was right. It was short but with no sign of neck hair. Then he checked with me to make sure it was as short as I wanted, a step many discount stylists ignore. Bravo, tattoo guy, bravo.

6 comments:

  1. Well jolly (fala la la la) good for you, hope I'm as lucky when I get my x-mas haricut! I've got to remember to make the appointment today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hair dresser who listens and knows what will work for you is a double blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rarity- good luck! Though if you have someone you go to regularly, you shouldn't need it.

    Julia- Absolutely! I fully admit I don't always know how best to articulate what I want, so someone who can interpret that for me is a godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not that impressed with my hairdresser. She doesn't always cut straight lines, and she wouldn't know fashion if it hit her on the head.

    BTW, I cut my own hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I keep going to the same shop (hairdresser place, thingy) but I do NOT go regularly and never remember the name of the one who cut it last, so I always get a new one (at least, ever since my trusty "regular" one went on and got a life for herself, damn kids and stuff...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scholiast- but her price is unbeatable, right? If my hair were long, I'd be tempted to cut it myself.

    Rarity- Ah, I understand. My favorite hairdresser quit to become an accountant soon after I graduated high school. Though I'm happy for her, it still makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete