21 November 2005

Life with chainsaws

The tree men are back today, dare I say vengefully attacking the trees next door. Early this morning the loud buzz began with one saw cutting downed trunk sections into manageable rounds. Finishing up the job, I presumed. Then there were two saws relentlessly grinding and revving.

I just helped Dad move the picnic table into the shed for winter and was greatly dismayed to see three tree men next door. One was at the top of a tree, now free of branches, sawing a ten foot section of trunk off while the two guys on the ground pulled a rope to control the direction of the fall. There are two other trees in this interim stage of removal which means days more of chainsaws.

And now they seem to be gone for the day which means this will all get dragged out even further.

Well, that was interesting. There was a knock on the backdoor, which being an unusual thing I went down to investigate. I should really commit Larry's face to memory because I never immediately recognize him. He's the old dude from next door who's having all the damn trees cut down.

He needed to borrow the phone since he had his phone line taken down for some of the tree removal. The maintenance guy who took it down this morning said he would rehook it this afternoon, but now it may take until Wednesday. I'm not feeling too sympathetic except that I don't want to provide interim phone service for him. It turns out the tree guys left because the power company never showed up to lower their line today, so Larry had to call and make sure they weren't coming later.

The only good news is that he said the tree guys weren't coming back until later in the week, so maybe I won't wake up to chainsaws tomorrow. Rrrarrhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment