17 August 2010

Things, more of them. 19, in fact.

So I was reading Havi's Fewer than 33 things. That you might already know. But possibly not. About me. post yesterday when it occurred to me that it's been 4 years since I wrote my 33 Things. The Things haven't changed much or at all since then, but they are less apparent in the image-dominant form my blog is currently taking.

So, if you haven't been around TTaT since the early days (and even if you have), here are some tidbits you may not know about me.

In no particular order,

1. Typos and grammatical errors in books drive me crazy because I notice them without trying to in the least.
2. I was psyched that Prop 8 got overturned but am bummed that the decision has been stayed.
3. If it were up to me, I'd toss out the whole marriage thing for everyone. However, since it isn't, I think anyone who wants to get married should be able to regardless of their gender. Separation of church and state, yo.
4. When I was five, I announced that I was never getting married. In retrospect, this was an awesome thing to do since my parents have never hassled me about it.
5. Yes, I was engaged once when I was 21. So glad that didn't happen.
6. I'm back to thinking I'll never get married.
7. But I do have a wedding playlist. Ya know, just in case. Really making it was triggered by an appalling musical choice at a friend's wedding. "Why do fools fall in love?" for your first song? Really?! They didn't choose it, it was just what they got because they didn't have time to deal with reception music details. I did not want to end up in that situation. Until then, I'd never given any thought to what my unlikely nuptials would be like.

I love this as an entrance. No decision re: dress/tux/pajamas though. Except that if I did go with a dress, it would be RED, probably Narciso Rodriguez.
8. I like the ladies and the gents. Whoa, that looks weird even though I like the sound of it. Not because it isn't true; I'm bi, but it's rare that I meet anyone that I'm really into, and even rarer that she or he is available and also interested. Small sample size is probably the culprit.

Why mention it at all then? Because I'm on board with the idea that Visibility Matters. Equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and transsexual people won't happen if we're invisible.
9. I don't meet many people because I'm a hardcore introvert.
10. I wonder about all the people on the internet who call themselves introverts or misanthropes yet have large networks of people following them. Popular introvert/misanthrope seems like it should be an oxymoron.
11. "I'm sick and tired of you making assumptions about what I think about you! I don't think you're an idiot," I said to my student fellow in college.

He laughed and said, "That's great! I can tell that you're sick and you're tired."

I'm sure I rolled my eyes. Apparently I was very hard to read back then. I thought I was past that perception of aloofness, but perhaps I'm not. The idea that I may be perceived as unfriendly is upsetting to me.

If I seem quiet and unresponsive when you're talking to me, it's because I'm actually listening to you.
12. No desire to have/raise kids. This is only a sticking point when it comes to my just-turned-7 niece. If anything happens to both her parents, they want me to take her. My parents are all, "Nothing will happen. You just say, 'Yes,'" but that's not how I roll (by which I mean I endeavor not to casually agree to commitments I'm uncertain I can fulfill). In some respects, I am the best option, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Uf. Fingers crossed, it'll be moot.
13. I have an IMDb page. No, really. I've only seen 5 of these once they were completed. At a guess, 4/5 of the stuff I worked on while in LA isn't listed here. A lot of features/shorts never get finished or distributed.
14. My vision of how I would dress if money were no object is a cool, tailored look. Sort of Bette's work clothes in The L Word except that I don't like wearing sleeveless tops. Or what Stella McCartney was wearing from her own line in an episode of Iconoclasts I just saw. Not white though.

Without somewhere to dress up a bit though, I suspect I'd just continue to wear t-shirts and cargo shorts/carpenter jeans for the most part because they're comfortable.
15. I do not carry a purse, so deep functional pockets are a must. ∴ I wear men's pants. Makes for easier sizing.
16. Contrary to the current content on the blog, I used to write a lot. I go through phases or periods of inspiration with it. I may start re-sharing a few stories from the depths that not many people have seen.
17. My photography shop, Rocklawn Arts, uses "Arts" instead of "Photography" because I wanted to leave room for some of my other artistic interests in the future: writing, sculpture, lamps, and coffee tables.

Also, Claire Skinner Photography just didn't have the right ring. I considered going with just my name but due to the actress Claire Skinner (I), all the URLs of my name are taken.

Rocklawn Arts as a name has actually been in my head for years, so it seemed worth listening to. Rocklawn is a place special to me, where I became an artist at heart.
18. Some day I will put my old DP reel up here for kicks. Even though I know how I would edit it differently now.
19. And perhaps the song I wrote and recorded with a friend. Been too nervous/reluctant for over five years, so we'll see how that goes.


If you liked this post, please share it using the buttons/links below.

Also this week, get 40% off cool posters & prints in my photography shop. Sale runs until August 22, 2010 at 11:59pm PT. Use code: BTSRULEPRINT


A year ago on TTaT: Random Scan Sunday 13: Turkish Olympics

No comments:

Post a Comment