17 March 2008

I aim to misbehave.*

From Jen and Ms. Sizzle.

Here’s how it works, should you decide to participate:

* Pick 15 of your favorite movies
* Go to IMDB and find a quote from each movie (or quote them from memory because you are that bad ass)
* Post them on your blog for everyone to guess
* Fill in the film title once it’s been guessed

These are your rules:
* No Googling or using IMDB search functions (Don’t cheat!)
* Leave your answer(s) in the comments

1. "You've got me? Who's got you?" (Superman- guessed by Jenny)
2. "I said, 'Sit down, Pinky.'" "Pinky?" "Yes." "What's that, a name?" "Yes." "Whose?" "The counsel for the defense." "Oh. Is that a 'y' or an 'ie'?" "'Y' for him, 'ie' for me." (Adam's Rib- classic Tracy-Hepburn battle of the sexes)
3. "Once again, we've saved civilization as we know it." "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute. "
From the same movie: "They'll respect you now." "That's a comfort. I was lucky that thing had knees." "That was not his knee... Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place, Captain." (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country- really, no one? Fine, I'm the biggest geek.)
4. "Is this your first Mediterranean cruise?" "Yes, but don't tell anybody." "Why not?" "'Cause I'm the captain."
From the same movie: "I don't smoke, I only drink champagne when I'm lucky enough to get it, my hair is naturally natural, I live alone... and so do you." "How do you know that?" "Because you're wearing one brown sock and one black sock." "You're right!" "If you lived with anybody, they would've told you." "That's one of the advantages of living alone... nobody tells you anything." (Desk Set- guessed by Cathy)
5. "Without change something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens." (Dune- guessed by Jenny)
6. "And they call it a mine. A mine!" "This is no mine, it's a tomb!" (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring- just in case you thought I was lying about my geek status.)
7. "Put me in your pocket, Mike." (The Philadelphia Story- guessed by Ms. Sizzle)
8. "So you guys are like the underground homo railroad." (But I'm a Cheerleader- goofy and hilarious, with a great soundtrack. Rent it!)
9. "Let your mind go and your body will follow."
From the same movie: "Roland thinks L.A. is a place for the brain-dead. He says, if you turned off the sprinklers, it would turn into a desert. But I think - I don't know, it's not what I expected. It's a place where they've taken a desert and turned it into their dreams. I've seen a lot of L.A. and I think it's also a place of secrets: secret houses, secret lives, secret pleasures. And no one is looking to the outside for verification that what they're doing is all right." (LA Story- Steve Martin goodness)
10. "I wrote a suicide note." "You did?" "Yeah, right after I regained conciousness." (The Royal Tenenbaums- guessed by Alissa)
11. "I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on, you do as I tell you, okay?" "Look, your worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me." "It's a wonder you're still alive." (Star Wars- guessed by Jen)
12. "Don't think, just throw. Don't think, just throw."
From the same movie: "Well, he fucks like he pitches - sorta all over the place." (Bull Durham- guessed by Ms. Sizzle)
13. "You're not the man I knew ten years ago." "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage." (Raiders of the Lost Ark- guessed by Kapgar)
14. "Now go do your best. 'Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.' Goethe said that. It's not too late for you to become a person of substance, Russell. Please get my son home safely. You know, I'm glad we spoke." (Almost Famous- guessed by Alissa)
15. "You're cuter than I thought. I can see why she likes you." "Who?" "Not too bright, though. "
From the same movie: "What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me." (The Matrix- guessed by Kilax)

*Bonus quote: name the movie the post title comes from. (Serenity- Joss Whedon goodness, anyone? It has one of the best fight scenes ever.)


Two years ago on TTaT: What goes up, Chips and Dr Pepper, Love rekindled

17 comments:

  1. Damn, some of those sound familiar, but I just can't pinpoint it. I suck at this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so good with the movie quotes, but #1 is from Superman, and is #5 from Dune? I don't remember that exact line, but the whole movie is all about "The sleeper must awaken," so I figure it's a safe guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are hard!

    I want to say the pocket one is from The Philadelphia Story. I'm not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kilax: The best I've done on anyone's list is 6 out of 15, and of course, I'd been beaten to all but one of them. Mostly, I'm not very good at it either, but I think it's fun. It's the quotes from movies I thought I knew well but didn't recognize I find the most intriguing. Different lines strike different people.

    jenny: Good job! "The sleeper must awaken" is, in fact, the very next line.

    sizz: very good! People were getting them so quickly everywhere that I did pick some less obvious quotes for the most well known movies, but I was going for challenging, not impossible. If everyone has trouble with them, maybe I'll lengthen some of the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 is Sandlot and 13 is Raiders of the Lost Ark, I think, though it sounds a bit off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is #10 The Royal Tenenbaums? Wow, you have hard ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kapgar: It's possible that line is in Sandlot- I haven't seen it. As for Raiders, I got that off IMdB so it could be a little off.

    Alissa: Well done!

    Hmm, I thought some of these were pretty straightforward. Just depends on who's looking at 'em, I guess. I'll flesh some out since I'm sure you guys have seen several more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #11 is Star Wars - duh!

    You're right, though. These are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I guess again? I think #14 is Almost Famous

    ReplyDelete
  10. #4 is Desk Set. #11 is Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen: Nicely done. I confess I might've had trouble placing that one at first. "Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?" just seemed way too obvious though.

    Alissa: Absolutely, guess away! And you're right, good job. That's one I thought people would know more readily since it's a favorite bit of mine from the movie.

    Cathy: Hey! Good to see ya. Nice eclectic mix of knowledge on display there too. :)

    Sizzle: Yes! Now, you're getting it. I bet you've seen #2 (and if you haven't, you should) and #9 at least.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, I am ashamed to not get the Star Wars one :(

    15. is Fight Club. That is the one I thought sounded familiar earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shit, I meant the Matrix. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm burning a copy of "Serenity" as we speak. It's a shiny flick, but did they have to kill **** and ********? (don't want to spoil anyone's fun).

    I shake my head in stunned disbelief that FOX couldn't see what a great show they had on their hands with "Firefly".

    Guess you don't need to have a brain to wear a suit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. page48: Yes, that was heartbreaking.

    I just hope Fox doesn't cancel Whedon's Dollhouse before it gets a chance next season. That would mightily piss me off.

    Have you seen any of the Firefly graphic novels? Serenity: Those Left Behind
    occurs between the end of Firefly and the beginning of Serenity and fills in details from that time gap quite nicely.

    They're coming out with A Sheperd's Tale and some others. Not sure if they're out now or will be soon...

    ReplyDelete