02 August 2006

The Screws of the Man (part 1)

(A continuation of the 2004 travel saga begun in Trip Prep, though not a direct sequel to it.)

I almost said, "You've got to be kidding," but I could tell that the very nice officer really wasn't. A permit for a temporary No Parking sign would cost me $112.75.

Without it, the chances I would find a parking spot in front of my flat the day I was moving were exceptionally slim. It was foolish of me, but I hadn't even considered that there'd be a fee for this. I'd been prepared to lie about having a moving truck if that was a technicality required, but now I didn't know what to say.

I would think $50 would be enough to dissuade people from making this request with any frequency, but since this is San Francisco, any opportunity to gouge its citizens with cars must be taken.

Officer McIntire told me some people balk at the price. "Really?" I replied, keeping my sarcastic "Imagine that" to myself; I understood he has nothing to do with setting the price for it. It's just his job to coordinate with the Department of Parking and Transportation, the very essence of The Man.

I told him I'd have to think it over...

NEXT>>>

One year ago at TTaT: line of the day
tags: ,

2 comments:

  1. $112? Oh my life. San Francisco reeeeaaaallly hates drivers. I thought London was bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C: Yeah, and I bet it's gone up since I was there 2 years ago. Registration, residential parking permits (even if there's nowhere to park), really high car insurance rates... it really adds up.

    ReplyDelete