20 January 2010

back in anger

Deep breath. Another. Perhaps some music would be a good idea. Just started my writing playlist and forgot about the Yoko Kanno pieces from a Ghost in the Shell soundtrack at the top. Good stuff.

So... I was surprised at how furious I was over the election results last night. Not shouting or punching walls*, rather fiercely quiet. When I looked at the back of my hands, my skin was red and blotchy declaring my anger even as I tried to erase it.

That's when I thought: I have a right to be pissed. Not being able to win an election that should be a no-brainer is part of why it's been years since I was registered as a democrat.

Also, I was honestly surprised by the result which I believe is why I was livid rather than annoyed, ticked, or angry. I had heard about the polls beforehand, but I didn't really believe they could be accurate. How could a state so blue change its mind that much in a year's time? I will be checking out the voting breakdown by town in my county.

Moving to another state (or country) is tempting, but I feel like a jinx. I did, after all, live in Florida during the 2000 presidential debacle and then in California when the governor was overthrown and replaced with Arnold. But I also lived in Massachusetts when we passed gay marriage, so that mitigates the feeling a bit.

For now, I think of James Thurber: "Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness.”

Get it the fuck together, Democrats.

OK, little angry still.


*Well, I was going to box on the Wii around 11 PM, but then I heard the TV downstairs come back on, so I let it go and did a little yoga instead. Probably the better choice at the time anyway.


Two years ago on TTaT: Sette

2 comments:

  1. To me this is further reason for us to secede from the Union and form our own nation-state of curly-haired smart people. Now that's a no-brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty sweet actually. I'm in.

    Now where to found our sovereign nation? I vote for somewhere with coastal access since I like the ocean. Preferably with all 4 seasons but not too long a winter.

    ReplyDelete