20 January 2008

Sette

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (4.5/5)

When my friend Bradley recommended The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay to me some years ago, I developed a notion that it was a graphic novel, so when I picked up the 600 plus page book from the library, I was daunted. It sat on my shelf for a while unexamined, but once I started reading, the pages passed quickly.

It is, if not The then certainly, A Great American Novel: an epic, to be sure, spanning the years 1939 to 1954 with a few fluid dips into the deeper pasts of the Jewish cousins Joe Kavalier and Sammy Clay. In 1939, artist Joe escapes from Czechoslovakia to New York City where he meets an ambitious Sammy. The two young men team up to get in on the golden age of comic books while Joe struggles to bring the rest of his family over, a constant reminder of World War II.

The Pulitzer Prize winning book deftly transported me to times past. The writing is lush, funny, at times heart-breaking, and poignant. Don't be daunted.

Technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

  1. ......i'm watching dune.....that's how i found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Welcome, Oberon.

    "Arrakis, Dune, desert planet, your time has come."

    But perhaps I should quote A Midsummer Night's Dream instead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book, indeed. I love Michael Chabon who, as I am, is a Pitt alumnus (MFA, I have a Ph.D. from the Department of French and Italian.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I may check out some of his other books.

    ReplyDelete