06 January 2010

1. You Better Not Cry

1. You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas by Augusten Burroughs (4.5/5)

Burroughs is in top form again with a series of episodes from his life occurring around Christmas. Outrageous, horrifying, moving, full of humor and humanity. Through it all, I was rooting for him. The stories occur at different points in his life, but I always felt in the often Oh No! moment with him.

If you liked Running With Scissors, you'll like this.

Note well: it's not fluffy Christmas stories for children. Nor does one need to be into Christmas to enjoy it. He spent time fed up with the commercial holiday craze too.

As someone who has always been intrigued by what writers say in dedications and thanks, I particularly liked the part of his acknowledgments that reads:
"Most of all, I am grateful to my readers, who have made me feel so less alone in the world."

My life has not had anything resembling the craziness of his, but I know what he means. I feel more connected when I read him, and I'm grateful to my handful of readers for the same reason.


Two years ago on TTaT: Rare Exports Inc. Ha! The perfect complementary post!

No comments:

Post a Comment