31 August 2007

Heart-stopping KABOOM!

The plunk, plunk, plunking on my window a/c woke me up at 4:30 this morning. It has to rain pretty hard for it to make that sound since my side of the house is fairly shielded.

Then there was the heart-stopping kaboom. The walls shook a little for emphasis. After my heart stopped, it resumed beating a bit more vigorously. I was really awake then.

Another flash lit up my room and then another. I counted: one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, four one-thousand, five one-thousand, six one-thousand. The rumbling swelled in volume and then dissipated.

With another bright flash, kaboom, I got out of bed to make sure the power strip to my computer was unplugged.

The lightning was so frequent and close, I mused that it was perfect for trying to take a lightning photograph. If only this house had a decent view of sky from its windows. I thought about what settings I might use and what kind of digital camera might be up to the challenge since sleep just wasn't possible.

The thunderstorm lasted for an hour, nearly all of it within a mile. Kept my blood pumping pretty good.

One year ago at TTaT: How am I not myself?
Technorati tags: ,

3 comments:

  1. Only you would be thinking of taking photos rather than hiding under the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny - We had no storms here, and the weather is absolutely gorgeous, coolish and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil: ha! You're probably right. :)

    Elisabeth: The storms are past us now, so the weather is just like yours today.

    ReplyDelete