28 August 2007

One true fan

Years before TTaT when I was paranoid about copyrights and word theft*, I'd email the occasional tale to friends and family as a sort of tremendously sporadic newsletter. In six years, there were 102 issues (though for some reason in my numbering system, they are listed as "episodes").

My mailing list evolved over the years, favoring those who would reply at least to say hello if not to comment on my latest adventure/mishap/goofy outlook. I remember one latecomer suggesting I start a blog instead, which in his case, I correctly surmised as meaning he was irritated by my story emails. (He got cut from the list soon after.)

When I did finally start TTaT a couple of years later, there was initially some overlap with my newsletter, but soon I focused solely on the blog. I told my friends about TTaT, but most of them aren't into blogging. My family I left out of the loop, so that I would feel free to write whatever I wanted. The tone of my newsletter had been exclusively light and humorous.

Though I received some nice praise on numerous tales I'd emailed, my newsletter's absence inspired only indifference. Except for one person.

I've known her since I was in the 3rd grade. She is my mother's best friend as well as a friend to me: a family friend, I suppose. In my newsletter's 2.5 year absence, she has told me numerous times that she misses my stories.

I haven't told her about TTaT. Though I mostly trust that she would not mention it if I asked her not to, I don't want to make her feel awkward about it with my parents. Also, I believe I'd feel compelled to constrain my writing which I don't want to do.

Still, just today Mom relayed that her best friend told her, "I really miss Claire's tales." Who am I to deny an actual fan?

The newsletter is off hiatus. I sent her the tale about picnics and peeing uphill. I hope she finds it worth the wait.


*Not so paranoid now, but please don't copy my words without attribution. A link back would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment