29 October 2005

Closet thoughts

I've mentioned before that I adore closets, but don't care for my current closet. It's different now though. About a week ago, the lower right side got mostly emptied. The doors slide freely, the empty space beckons my boxes. (It does feel good, Rarity.)

The number of purses it had contained is astounding, at least to me. The left side is still harboring some. And my old typewriter appeared from beneath the clutter. I always loved that clack clack clack sound of real typewriters. The ink tape has surely dried out by now, but I may have to play with it just to hear that sound. Or dismantle it and build something out of the keys. It's strange now to think of all the hours spent filling out applications oh so carefully on that device. I'm greatly thankful for word processing and printers without perforated edges, but sometimes I miss more tactile methods. Not dot matrix printers though, tearing jammed pages out of those was a little too tactile.

3 comments:

  1. D'you know, we've still got typewriters at work... And computers, of course - the typies are for making tags and stuff for the archives - still, the sound's actually very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh, don't dismantle it! I'm very much against violence done to typewriters. If you want to get your typewriter up and running again, try hunting for a word processor ribbon that's the same width as the typewriter ribbon. You can always rip apart the word processor cartridge and respool the ribbon on your typewriter. Gets your fingers horribly messy, but it works everytime.

    On a completely unrelated note, did you change the formatting of your blog? For the past week or so, I can't use Netscape to read it. Netscape will cut about an inch off the left side of the text. Everything is hunky-dory when I use Explorer though, and if that isn't an indication that something has gone very wrong in the universe then I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scholiast- we had one for labels and cards (in addition to computers) when I worked a at a library a couple years back. They're still handy for some things.

    BW- It's more likely I will give the typewriter to Salvation Army as part of my current purge phase.

    As for formatting, yes I did mess around with it some...I'm planning a greater overhaul but haven't figured out all the details. Sorry about the difficulty... I use safari and hadn't noticed any troubles. For me there was always ~1.5" of empty space on the edges which annoyed me. Keep me posted... once I settle on the new version, I want it readable. May be a few days before I get around to it though...

    ReplyDelete