28 October 2005

Miscommunication

You know when you're looking for a pep talk, but then you get cock-punched* with tough love? That's how I feel right now. It's more frustrating because I was misunderstood. I want to say: See, here, this bit you say- I wasn't talking about that! The problem is that the typewriter of my mind keeps including disclaimers like: Not that it matters or it doesn't make much difference. On the one hand, if I were to protest without the disclaimer, I'd have to explain, and it's not really relevant anymore. On the other hand, if you say something doesn't really matter, why say it at all? The only way to get around it is to leave it alone, but I hate being misunderstood, particularly when someone perceives a statement as a dig about one thing when it's merely an observation about something else entirely.

Ironically, I started that email with this: I feel like an idiot, but my sense is that that will not abate unless I mush on.

How wrong I was.

*inaccurate, but conveys the sentiment better (blame Wil)

2 comments:

  1. Not wanting to make things worse for you, Claire, but even if I'm completely on board with the first sentence of this post - the rest was completely out of my grasp.

    So have that in mind when I say: If we only knew how much we are actually misunderstood we would probably never venture out on communicating ever again.

    Those who love you, will still love you even if something came out (or in) other than intended!

    pep pep pep! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know that post was fairly incoherent with ambiguity: I was frustrated when I wrote it- that much, I'm sure came across.

    And so true about misunderstandings. This one was in the scheme of things rather minor.

    Thanks for the pep!

    ReplyDelete