22 December 2012

64. Lost Worlds: Ruins Of The Americas

Lost Worlds: Ruins Of The Americas64.Lost Worlds: Ruins Of The Americas by Arthur Drooker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm a fan of ruins, so I knew of some in Central and South America, but I didn't realize there were so many more cool ruins about in the Western hemisphere. There's quite a variety too, from Incan and Mayan to European influenced ruins.

Drooker's black and white infrared photography of the sites is very cool. A lot of the images really appeal to me because they feel like ones I would take, a certain interplay of geometry in the architecture. Of course, I wouldn't have thought to convert a digital camera so that it shoots solely infrared images, so as close as my view might be if I went, it'd still be different.

I also liked that he wrote a page of basic history about each site and the people who lived there. It's a nice bit of background without being overwhelming and is much easier than reading a slew of tiny captions. It gives a nicer flow for reading and viewing a book mainly of photography.

Well worth a look.


Two years ago on TTaT: A Holiday Treat: The Prom: Take Two (part 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment