10 December 2012

60. Color Index

Color Index60. Color Index by Jim Krause

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My main issue with this book is that it wasn't what I was looking for: color swatches with hex (or RGB) codes that I could use to gauge screen to print variations.

It has hex and RGB codes although the majority of colors are given only in CMYK and RGB values, but the swatches are so small, it's not the sort of reference I'd find useful.

The book is a bit wider than a mass market paperback. The swatches are presented in ~3/4" squares, but each swatch contains 2-4 colors.

The book has some simple information on color theory and focuses on combinations of colors. For what it's worth, I like the Quite Cool Hues best. (Ha! It should be Quiet not Quite.)

Color Index would be more useful to someone looking to see how various color combinations look together. Each mini-square palette is presented 3 ways: bars, pattern, design; so you can get a sense of their interplay.


Two years ago on TTaT: Life of Art SitRep #44 In spite of the wonky

No comments:

Post a Comment