06 June 2012

Swallows and Amazons

Swallows and Amazons29. Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What a great summer read this was! This isn't exactly the edition I read (an illustrated hardcover from 1937), but it was the closest I could find here. My copy was the book's 12th reprint in 7 years. Popular and deservedly so.

The novel is about 4 siblings who go on a proper adventure made epic with their imaginations. By "proper," I mean the characters are people living in the real world. No portals to parallel worlds, no magic. It's refreshing actually.

I hate spoilers but I will say that they are independent, capable, loyal, and kind. Their mother is also pretty awesome. And there's lots of sailing. (A young reader may need help with all the nautical terms.)

Since the book was written and set in 1929, these kids get to enjoy a freedom that I think would be hard to find nowadays. They are friends I would like to have had when I was young though.


Two years ago on TTaT: Sketchbook, page 32

No comments:

Post a Comment