14 November 2009

Dance Dance Revolution: The Journey

(The DDR story so far: First Encounter, The Beginning)

Songs played in the beginner level of DDR proved difficult for me to pass when I first started playing because the step patterns were so slow that you wouldn't get into the rhythm of the song. Once I discovered that I could pass songs in Light or Trick mode, DDR became a whole lot of fun.

Individual songs were rated for difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10 feet. Most songs had multiple step patterns so they could be played at any difficulty level. Some songs had no easy levels. My friend Bradley was adept at passing 5 and 6 foot songs with As. I encouraged her to try playing the next higher level of difficulty. She was reluctant because she hadn't perfected the level she was at, but when I returned to play a week later, it was amazing to see how much better she'd gotten while achieving lower scores on songs at greater difficulty. AAs and AAAs, grades I didn't even know existed, were now the norm for her on the old 5 and 6 foot songs. She was also able to pass songs like Hysteria which had previously been out of reach.

My progress was slower because I didn't get to play every day. Even though I was now passing songs, I generally scored a range of Bs to Es depending on how difficult the individual song was.

Interpreting the seizure inducing graphics of the game and its bright scrolling arrows entailed learning a new language. Blue arrows indicated syncopated or rapid tap steps. For a Freeze arrow to count, your foot couldn't leave the arrow until the stretched out arrow had passed. Jumps required hitting two arrows at once; Up-Downs and Left-Rights were fine, but "Corners," steps that required you to hit an up or down arrow at the same time as a left or right arrow, were beyond me. They seemed harder and my brain just couldn't get my feet to do them for the longest time. Some sequences were like old aerobics moves, simple step-touches, that my body already knew. Playing was a process of learning and practice.

Later that year, I put most of my stuff in storage and left town, embarking on what would become a seven month long road trip in pursuit of the perfect place to live. A few weeks later, across the continent in Los Angeles, I enthusiastically described DDR to a good friend. She was intrigued, went online and discovered DDRFreak and its super useful machine locator. We set off for a nearby arcade in Koreatown to check out Pump It Up, a variation of DDR.

As we walked up to the arcade, we noticed that none of the signage or games were in English. I understood how to play though, so how hard could it be? Instead of up, down, left, and right, Pump It Up's arrows were on the diagonals. The shifted arrows were enough to throw off my game, but this version also had sensors for hand motions you were supposed to do in tandem with the steps. During the key moment when you choose your difficulty level before playing, I had to guess because all the Asian characters were foreign to me. Definitely should've picked an easier level.

I did my best, but there was too much new information to process at once for me to do well. Also, the other blaring games made it hard to hear the beat. I had not made a convert.

Not long after, at Thanksgiving with friends, I discovered Ben loved DDR as much as I did. I'd met Ben and Chala at a mutual friend's wedding--the happy couple were now our Thanksgiving hosts--a year before. Ben thought DDRFreak was awesome and we soon found a machine. A bowling alley in Venice, California proved much more hospital for DDR than the Koreatown arcade had been.

Ben and I played while the other three watched, too amused by the sight and afraid of looking like fools to try it themselves. We had a good time anyway.

Five months later, I was staying with Ben and Chala in San Francisco. After 6 months on the road and the realization that nowhere is perfect, I was ready to give up and go home to my parents' house for a while. Chala had insisted I visit them first.

Ben and I played DDR on his home setup. We recorded some music. I tagged along with them to sundry events and outings. One day I just broke down, went to a room by myself and couldn't stop crying. I didn't know Chala and Ben that well, so I was mortified. After a while, Ben came to the doorway and solemnly asked if I'd like to play DDR.

I wiped the tears off my cheeks, looked at him, and said, "Sure."

Playing Dance Dance Revolution did make me feel better. Later I realized it was because playing DDR required me to be in the moment. In the moment with songs I like? Even better.

(NEXT>>>)


Three years ago on TTaT: The Road is my Favorite Place: Day 10

No comments:

Post a Comment