06 November 2009

Clothes that fit: ideal or overrated?

Years ago I was hooked on the BBC-America show What Not To Wear. Since then, I've seen a smattering of such shows, the TLC version of WNTW, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and later the Straight Girl, and How to Look Good Naked. Seems fair to say that their main tenet of dressing well is having clothes that fit well.

I don't buy clothes often, but I have tried to keep this in mind when I do or when choosing sizes for birthday list items. For me, this means avoiding the large, baggy fits of old.

The catch with the smaller, better fitting pieces is that I have to pay more attention when I do laundry so they don't shrink.

The long sleeve tee I'm wearing now is the proper size, but the collar is so much smaller than I'm used to that I feel like I'm being strangled--no dryer for that one. (It's something of a reminder of why I liked bigger sizes in the first place.) I tried two t-shirts over it and both exacerbated the neck constriction. Finally pulled an enormous old XL tee I haven't worn in years from the sentimental pile at the top of my closet. Film crew shirts are typically ordered with a one-size-fits-all mentality, at least on the low budget indies that I used to crew. Doesn't pull on my neck though.

So, in sum, clothes that fit well will probably look better but may not last as long as those which are over-large. Thoughts? Opinions? Clothes buying strategies?


A year ago on TTaT: Ooh

3 comments:

  1. Here are a few rules I shop by:

    1) V-neck t-shirts and tops fit a lot more comfortably than regular tees. No neck grab.

    2) Don't be afraid to show your waist - you work out and have a cute figure, but nobody can see it if you don't work the hip to waist ratio.

    3) Buy pants that fit in the waist and hip AND are long enough to touch the tops of your shoes - highwaters are not flattering. They make you look stumpy.

    4) Jersey knits with some stretch are more flattering and softer to wear than plain cotton knits with no stretch, and they layer better.

    5) Adding a flashy scarf makes a very casual outfit seem much more dressy.

    I love shopping for clothes. If you were here in Minneapolis, I'd take you out and show you how to find clothes that feel awesome and fit well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iron Fist: Cargo shorts are OK though, right? I know you've got the pants-free movement going, but every time I read it, it makes me think pro-skirts and dresses which me...not so much.

    Voix: 1. I used to hate V-necks, but I did buy one this year. Definitely have them in mind.

    2. So, you're not going to be fan of the untucked then? Hmm... ;)

    3. Let me just say that I HATED highwaters even when they were in style in the 80s. S'pose I'm still on tilt from that as I prefer a bit overlong. Pretty tall so stumpy's not on my radar so much.

    4. Not a big fan of stretchy fabrics though I get what you're saying.

    5. Quite true but so very not me.

    Thank you for the generous offer. I've never been to MN, but maybe one of these days - probably not during winter. :)

    ReplyDelete