26 May 2007

Wuss!

I piss myself off sometimes. Mostly when I think I should've handled something differently.

The folks and I went to an arts & crafts fair this afternoon. After touring a couple buildings, it was snack time. As I have on several previous occasions at this fair, I cruised the food tent tempted by savory dishes while not wanting to throw everyone else's dinner schedule out of whack. Mom assured me it was no big deal, so I finally gave the Indian place a try even though the prices seemed steep just for an afternoon snack.

I reread their board menu and stepped over to order just as the woman behind the table sat down.

"Sorry."

"That's ok," she said, rising with a smile.

"I'd like the vegetarian sampler."

I followed along as she moved down the tables serving portions from a variety of dishes. At the end, she handed me the tray with a smile and walked back to her post. A handwritten sign in marker said: Pay here. I set the tray down and handed a twenty to the guy seated behind the table.

He looked at the tray and back towards the food and then at me, so I said, "Vegetarian sampler."

Then he said something to me (in Indian?) that conveyed that the guy standing a little further down would help me. He held my twenty and we both waited for the guy with his back to us to help.

After a couple minutes, the seated guy gave up and put my twenty into the their money tray and handed me a five for change. It was three dollars short of what he owed me, but I didn't say anything. I took my tray, picked up some utensils and napkins and left.

By the time I sat down, I was obsessed with why I hadn't corrected him. I should have, but my food was getting cold. It also didn't happen to be my money that I was spending. And I didn't want to get into some weird scene of trying to explain it to a third party who might not believe me. And finally, I didn't want to make the foreign guy feel bad by correcting him.

Fucking passive girl reasons.

I would've been nervous for a minute had I corrected him, but it would've been fine. Instead, I chose to spare his feelings, avoid confrontation, and get on with eating; and that choice still bothers me.

Let it go, Claire. It's just three bucks.

I'm hoping the writing will help exorcise it from my system. A few rounds of DDR would probably do me some good too.

One year ago at TTaT: Bar-B-Q
Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm always torn between wanting to be the Assertive Girl who stands up for herself and wanting to be the Relaxed Girl who doesn't sweat the small stuff. And I usually end up being the Girl Who Sweats The Small Stuff Quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Yes! That's pretty much it.

    At least I'm relaxed enough that I've moved on to sweating other stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete