09 May 2007

My favorite place in LA is on fire

I'm not sure I have much else to say.

When I lived in LA, I lived in Los Feliz, the neighborhood just south of Griffith Park. I hung out there often. Sitting with my legs hanging over the wall on the roof of the observatory is my favorite view of the city.

During the entirety of my last stint in CA, the observatory was closed for renovation, so I didn't get to sit up there before I headed back east. I know they'll do everything they can to protect the building... it's just looking at it with a wave of fire behind it... lots of memories throughout that park. The annual Christmas light display, going there when I was falling apart to calm down, driving golf balls from the upper tier of the driving range at one of the golf courses, trying to meet a friend for tennis and getting courts mixed up, shooting head shots for a friend...

Hang in there, Griffith Park.

One year ago at TTaT: Contenders, Civic duty
Technorati tags: ,

3 comments:

  1. There's a special place in hell for people who start fires like this. I don't understand fire starters or vandals. I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hanging in there, I think. I was really worried about the animals at the L.A. Zoo, which I've heard they don't evacuate since moving them is as likely to kill them as the fire. My friend and I decided they should at least set all the birds free to join the other wild parrots in L.A. But I'm glad the fire's almost out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merujo: me either.

    Cheryl: I thought I'd read that they had evacuated the animals, but maybe I misread or it was only some of them.

    I'm glad it's almost out too. Too close to my old 'hood (and that of a friend's currently), y'know?

    ReplyDelete