20 February 2011

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 5: Ghost Box

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 5: Ghost Box11. Astonishing X-Men Vol. 5: Ghost Box by Warren Ellis

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The stakes are still epic, but the execution is much more grim than the first four volumes. I missed Joss Whedon's humor as I read Warren Ellis' take on the X-Men. I also prefer John Cassaday's art over Simone Bianchi's though hers is still skillful and beautiful; it's just darker than I care for.

My favorite story was Ghost Boxes #1 Part 2 drawn by Adi Granov: an alternate universe, sepia-tinged, Steampunk version of the X-Men told from Emma Frost's point of view. Come to think, it had the most humor in addition to its cool art. No wonder I liked it.

On a related note, how long can Wolverine's claws really be? He can bend his elbows and presumably his wrists, so I'm thinking they shouldn't be longer than his forearms. Right? Or is there something about Adamantium I don't know? (The answer to that is assuredly yes, but I think you know what I mean.)


5 years ago on TTaT: The Gargle is On (Wow, proof I've known Sizzle, Neil, and Kevin for 5 years!)

If you liked this post, please share it using the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment