03 July 2016

The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time

The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time34. The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was already on board with the idea that sleep is important, but the effects of sleep deprivation are so much worse than I'd realized. And sleeping pills are bad news. If nothing else, this book got me to start really prioritizing sleep even before I'd finished it.

If you want suggestions to improve your sleep right off, skip to the chapter "What to Do, What Not to Do." I was a little disappointed there weren't more suggestions I hadn't already come across elsewhere though.

Different chapters will resonate with different people based on your circumstances. E.g., if you travel a lot or need a new bed, check out the appendices for suggestions.

I enjoyed the chapter on enhancing sports performance with sleep as it conveyed the idea that the more active you are, the more sleep you need. So it's not a zero sum game of always needing the same amount of sleep each night.

My biggest takeaway is an attitude shift towards sleep. I am willing to sacrifice conscious time by sleeping more so that the time I'm awake is better quality.

Having made this mental shift, am I now getting 8 or more quality hours of sleep a night? No, but I'm working on it, trying various suggestions but mostly focusing on how to wind down at night to set myself up for restorative sleep.


10 years ago on TTaT: Endorphins, O my! (It's curious looking back to a time when I didn't at least do a low key work out everyday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment