12 July 2007

HP #5

I give it a thumbs up, peeps. As I've said other places, I'm not all that impressed by the Harry Potter books, and I think the movies do a better job of story-telling overall. The Goblet of Fire movie had its story problems, but I found them to be more pronounced in the book rather than clarified.

That said, I really enjoyed The Order of the Phoenix this afternoon. I have not read this one, but I found the movie to be quite clear. The special effects just keep getting better, and the young cast is maturing into a good looking lot. I hate spoilers, so I'll refrain from sharing specifics.

On an unrelated note, what an awesome compilation this is: Diana Ross & The Supremes, The #1's. No wonder it took so long to get from the library. Upside down, boy you turn me, inside out, and round and round...

One year ago at TTaT: Exercise, Discipline, Affection: in that order!
Technorati tags: , , ,

5 comments:

  1. I have totally lost track of the Harry Potter books and movies. However, I may get curious enough to go see this last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by Harry Potter. I read only the first book (and I admit I've heard they get better), and I liked it enough, but I just kept thinking, "I wish I was watching this story happen in a movie instead." There are lots of kids' books with sparklier prose and more interesting mythologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth: I think this one stands alone pretty well, so it shouldn't be too hard to follow without knowing the other movies/books.

    Cheryl: I read books 3 & 4. I might give 5 a look. (You'd hope someone's writing would improve with more practice, right?)

    "There are lots of kids' books with sparklier prose and more interesting mythologies."

    Absolutely! In fact, the trailers before the movie were full of kid fantasy movies- some of which looked pretty cool. Come December/next spring, there are going to be a lot more options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to go see HP5 next weekend, but instead, I'm going to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical sing-a-long with a bunch of other happy geeks on Saturday night. Guess Harry will have to wait until some of the mania dies down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merujo: Ooh, that sounds like excellent fun!

    ReplyDelete