24 October 2009

Facebook, what was I thinking?

So another classmate from high school has sent me a friend request. I know, it's my fault: I signed up and friended 1 person from my graduating class. Even though I have no networks listed, it put me in orbit of her other friends from high school. Sigh.

The first high school friend request I got was fairly easy to ignore. She was pretty much a compulsive liar all through high school and never let me sit shotgun in our mutual friend's two-door Prelude even though I was much taller than she was. Perhaps she's changed but the conservative and religious views on her FB profile did not trip any kindred spirit bells.

This time it's not someone I knew much at all. He was nice enough. I'd friend him but I fear if I did I'd be opening more doors to a past I've long moved on from. He does have our high school listed as a network. For kicks, I looked at who else came up and was surprised by the number of people who made me think: who the hell is that?

My graduating class was, after all, only 51 people. But then I remembered there were some new kids and exchange students during high school and by then, if they weren't in honors classes I wasn't likely to see them much.

The other surprise: some of the best looking people back then, really not so much now. I admit my vanity felt a boost. Two notable exceptions: two people who I thought were genuine then have changed very little and still look great today.

Ooh, the 3rd surprise was a student who was only there for a year or two during middle school. I turned down an offer to hang out with her and never got another. I still remember that phone call. I didn't want to go out of racism whose origin I still do not comprehend. SH was Korean, but she'd been adopted as a baby and grew up in the States. My parents couldn't have cared less about racial differences. I don't remember my friends and classmates saying anything that would've swayed me, but we did live in a small, almost completely white town. Despite being new, often a curse at our tiny school, SH went on to be popular in the short time she was around; I was more alone than I'd ever been. It wasn't direct cause and effect, but it felt karmic.

I never did apologize as it would have meant admitting I was being racist. To be clear, I wasn't walking around saying or even thinking derogatory things about people based on their race/ethnicities; I've always been naturally P.C. in that regard. I can only guess my action came from a fear of the unfamiliar coupled with growing social ineptitude. It's a thing I look back on with regret. I never expected we'd cross paths again. Though I like to set things right when I can, apologizing now might do more harm than good depending on how she recalls that phone call, if at all. Even if she had assumed I was racist back then, she was over it back then, bubbly and friendly to all (myself included at school) and surrounded by better people than I.

****
So... what to do about friend requests from old acquaintances on Facebook? I can glut my account with people I don't know well or try to keep it lean so I don't have to filter so much. Yes, I'm feeling some irony hovering in the background. I am not a social beast, least not FB-style social. How do you approach friend requests?


A year ago on TTaT: Trick-or-Treating, at the mall?

9 comments:

  1. I friend most people who ping me and hide their status updates in my feed if they're annoying. You might be surprised at how much more interesting people are in their thirties than they were in high school. Give them a chance - good things can come of social networking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a reasonable argument, Voix. Thank you.

    I tend to view things from a profound place of introversion, as though these virtual networks will be a greater draw on my time & energy the larger they get. But friending someone doesn't mean I have to commit to using/updating FB more, and it is possible it could lead to something good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voix has a good point! But if we never talked in HS, I don't friend them. It is surprising how often they expect you to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the other side represented as well, kilax!

    My hesitation is that I don't want to be drawn into "what have you been/are you doing now?" conversations which I find rather draining with acquaintances. I don't want to put myself into situations where I'm asked to explain myself or give up details that I prefer to keep to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for processing childhood racism--I've had to do some of that myself. If you do get in touch with SH, you don't have to be all, "I didn't want to be your friend because you were Korean!" but you could say, "I wish I'd been friendlier."

    Anyway, I love FB requests from old acquaintances because it's a great way to stay in touch without having to talk to anyone. You can do a lot of ignoring without actually hitting the "ignore" button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl: "You can do a lot of ignoring without actually hitting the "ignore" button."

    Awesome. Now that's an argument I can get behind. :)

    As for childhood (or adult) racism, I've read enough psych articles to know that most people have had racial biases of some sort whether they were aware of them or not. Doesn't make it right or a permanent state, just not uncommon culturally.

    Writing about it was a little strange as I recalled myself grasping at straws for a reason to say no: I had homework, figuring out where she lived and how long it would take me to get there by bike, and then I pulled the race straw, mentioning it to my mom while covering the receiver. She just said, "So?" so I couldn't blame her for not being able to go.

    What was weird was realizing how much it wasn't about her. Any new kid might well have received a similar rebuff because of my insecurities, shyness, & introversion, my fear of new people. But then, how often is racism really about a person's skin color or features?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go figure, just got a request from someone in college who I have much more mixed feelings about & for good reasons. argh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I basically think that people don't change that much. This person, with whom I had had a rather toxic friendship when I worked in business appeared on Facebook and asked me to friend her, so I did. She started writing all of those weird messages about me and my daughter, and even hinted that we should get together last summer (she now lives in Atlanta.)

    Then, out of the blue, she vanished off the face of Facebook. As far as I am concerned, this individual has remained a total nut. She got all hot about Facebook, then lost interest (I have to add, though, in her defense, that her father passed away, rather quickly, in the meantime...).

    Facebook is a bit weird. The most fun I have there is with my students and people I know from my local community. And maybe a few online acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have since friended those 2 people, but I still find FB weird.

    Mostly I joined to keep track of 1 bud who uses it and travels a lot. Otherwise... eh.

    It can be fun to see what old friends have to say, but all the games/memes/polls hold no interest for me.

    Like several folks I know, I'm one of those FB users who rarely posts or logs on. Suits me for now as I'm not gungho about networking.

    ReplyDelete