15 June 2008

Random Scan Sunday 4: Yearbook

After a year of American Lit.:
Hurles editor
Don't think of me as your teacher, think of me as your editor always looking over your shoulder for the misplaced modifier, the unwarranted prose, the pure writer's joy that I will ruthlessly restrain.
Best
Jim

[AKA Hurles]

After a year of Humanities (so like him to sign by my picture instead of his):
Hurles note
To Claire-
Of course despite all my flaws you must understand that I will nevertheless strive to be orderly & punctual. And of course remember just how fond & proud of you that I am.
Jim
He's referring to my "organizational skills and distaste for lateness" which I left him in the class will. After two years of ruthless editing (he wasn't joking about that) and relentless questions, often interrupted halfway with, "No, that's not hard enough," as he came up with a new, harder question for me, the "fond & proud" caught me a bit off-guard. It's nice to know though.


A year ago on TTaT: Not quite the breakfast of champions

No comments:

Post a Comment