29 May 2008

24. In the Frame

24. In the Frame: My Life in Words and Pictures by Helen Mirren (3.5/5)

Organized chronologically starting with her Russian ancestors, the book intersperses a couple of pages of text with several of photos with further commentary, and then back to text. The writing is a little dry at first, but as you get further along in her life (and the book), Mirren gives you peeks into various personal and work recollections. The variety and abundance of photos and mementos is excellent.

I found reading the progress of her acting career (and traveling) quite compelling. She's been in more movies I've seen than I realized. (White Nights, anyone?) The mini-series Prime Suspect was probably the one for which I learned her name though.

Intelligent, feminine, independent, open-minded, one who seeks out her fears: a fascinating person. The book is well worth a look.


Two years ago on TTaT:here

No comments:

Post a Comment