20 May 2007

Dots

In the very essence of the thought itself it seems, I put off writing this for a couple weeks. It was actually a moment of clarity: I don't know how to connect the dots of my life.

When you're a kid, the dots are numbered so you know which ones to connect first and you're assured of a pleasing outcome, a dog or a cat- something- revealed by your orderly efforts. In life, of course, no outcomes are guaranteed and suggested sequences to follow become progressively more rare the further out you are from college (if you're me anyway). Still, innumerable dots await, surrounding you in all directions, for choices to be made.

One year ago at TTaT: A little Saturday pick-me-up

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. I think when you are in school, the dots are given to you (grades), and this just isn't the case in the "real world."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your instinkts (spelling?) - I say choose the dot that most appeals to you, not the one that looks most like it's the dot you're *supposed* to choose.

    Who do you most admire in the free world? the ones who followed the expected path or the ones who followed their instin... eh ... their gut!? - I'm just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil: It was also clear how to get good grades in school. You could study or not, but the rules were pretty straightforward. Not particularly true in the "real world."

    Rarity: instincts. I get what you're saying, but for me, no single dot really stands out that much. And I probably think too much about the dots available after the first choice is made.

    ReplyDelete