16 March 2007

Hope?

Last night, I was greatly dismayed to learn that Veronica Mars was probably going to get axed. However, there's been an update.

Apparently The CW is considering 3 options:
1) the show gets redesigned so that it's set four years in the future with Veronica as an FBI agent, and Kristen Bell the only returning cast member,
2) the show returns during her college years, or
3) it gets cancelled.

Cancellation is unacceptable to me. If they decide to go with the redesign, I would give it a shot, but I think they're missing one of the truly great things about the show. As it is now, regulars in the cast can be and sometimes are the bad guys which adds a lot of complexity to the mysteries. If they make Veronica an FBI agent, chances are the bad guys would be reduced to the pool of guest stars which would make it like the rest of crime shows on television. Veronica Mars is unique; let the show stay that way.

Besides, I would really miss Keith, Mac, and Wallace.

To show your support for the show, please leave a comment here,
and then send a "Save Veronica" postcard or letter to:

Dawn Ostroff
President of Entertainment, The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

Technorati tags:

5 comments:

  1. I'm at a bit of a loss on this. As much as I don't want it to die, I'm not sure it could pull off an FBI jump forward. I don't see Veronica's antics working at the Federal level. Sorry. Just me on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like I said above- one of the great things about VM is that almost anyone can be guilty. As soon as they shift her to the FBI, it just becomes another crime show and much more predictable. Still...Kristen Bell is so good that I would give the alt. version a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: One of the show's charms is its college setting. Although there are lots of crime shows on TV, there are weirdly few college shows. And I don't think we'll be seeing any of the Pussycat Dolls head off to school anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting party, shame about the trousers though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rach: I know your comment applies to the 2nd post above, but since I don't think I can move it, I'll respond here.

    Ya know, miraculously (or more probably with a bit of some pre-treat laundry stick or other), the sangria came out in the wash.

    ReplyDelete