15 November 2020

How to Be an Antiracist

How to Be an Antiracist35. How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This would make an excellent addition to high school social studies classes.

Kendi defines many types of racism as well as their intersections with other bigotries. He also shares stories from his life when he had racist ideas and how his ideas evolved and continue to evolve towards anti-racism which humanizes the book.

It's not "Think this, do that" but rather here's how to recognize racist and anti-racist ideas and policies. Here are strategies that have and haven't worked to combat racism.

I have more work to do dismantling racist ideas I didn't recognize as such or hadn't considered. But I will also keep my eye on and work to fight the true cause of racism: self-interest, particularly that of policy makers who create and uphold racist policies to maintain or increase their own power, privilege, and financial gain.

The book has a lot of information to take in. It's very likely I'll be back to read it again. 


10 years ago on TTaT:  sleep-tussle?

No comments:

Post a Comment