08 May 2019

Today's Sighting

Walking uphill, I saw one of my neighbors walking a small dog on a leash in their yard. I was probably forty feet away but the dog started yapping as they went around to the backside of their house.

I continued walking but heard jingling. I immediately started scanning for Rosco and spotted him charging out of the corner of his yard, downhill across two driveways and then right at me.

Usually I stop and stand my ground bracing for his potential impact, but today I kept walking towards him as I pulled my sleeves up to avoid getting fur all over me.

He came to an abrupt stop in front of me barking hello and for once didn't lean into me demanding pets and attention. He circled around me as if he was going to keep going down the street.

"Hey, Rosco." He stopped and looked back at me. "Let's go back up to your house."

He took a couple steps in my direction but then changed his mind. "Come on, Rosco," I tried again.

I saw his owner coming down the hill after him. "New dog in the neighborhood. All he has to do is hear one peep from them and he's got to go see," he said.

I smiled and commented, "That's a yappy little dog," as he continued his chase after Rosco who is pretty big.

"He won't hurt her," I heard him reassure our neighbor as he went to get Rosco, but there was a tremendous amount of high pitched barking from the new dog.

After I'd gotten to the top of the street and started back down, I saw Rosco on leash reluctantly trailing his owner.

"That's a mean dog," his owner commented. "She was going to take Rosco down."

It didn't seem to bother Rosco though as he kept looking over his shoulder.

"Come on, Rosco," he said, urging him along.


10 years ago on TTaT: 20 self portraits from 1996, day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment