09 January 2014

The Alley of Love and Yellow Jasmines

The Alley of Love and Yellow Jasmines3. The Alley of Love and Yellow Jasmines by Shohreh Aghdashloo

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book caught my eye because years ago, I worked with Shohreh on a low budget indie film in LA called Surviving Paradise. She played a supporting role and I was the gaffer. Some actors never speak to the crew, but Shohreh was always friendly and respectful. We didn't have deep, long conversations, but she made a lasting impression: lovely.

In subsequent years, I've always been happy to see her working in television and film. (House of Sand and Fog, 24, The Simpsons, NCIS, X-Men: The Last Stand... I've seen her guesting on Grimm recently. Love her voice.) I find myself repeatedly saying, "She was lovely to work with." And she was.

Her book gave me insights to her life growing up in Iran but also into the life of a friend of mine from the Middle East although from a different country.

Shohreh's life has had fascinating turns, scary tests of character. Highly recommended if you'd like an inside view to life in Iran and in exile from it. Or a reminder of the power of art.


A year ago on TTaT: Well...

No comments:

Post a Comment