03 September 2012

All-Star Superman, Vol. 1

All-Star Superman, Vol. 144. All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'd recommend this to someone who's already familiar with Superman's basic story whether through other comic books or movies or television. If you're a fan of Superman, you'll probably like this book.

I saw the animated movie of All-Star Superman before reading this. The story is more streamlined in the movie (quite good!) and some of it feels more fleshed out at times.

The book is quite lovely though, both the art and the economy of panels used to convey a lot of story content.

I look forward to the next volume to discover other story treats not included in the movie.


Two years ago on TTaT: Life of Art SitRep #30

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this series. If you ever have an opportunity to read the oversized "Absolute" edition of the collection, I highly recommend it. The larger size reveals a lot of beauty in the artwork that is difficult to spot when reduced. The Absolute editions are hideously expensive, but I bought this one.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see if anyone in my library network has the Absolute edition. Larger would be better. I noticed in some sequences, like when Clark goes to interview Lex, there were details in the art I might've missed while focusing on the dialogue that are key to the action. I was primed to look for them because of the movie. Also made me realize I hadn't read a Superman comic since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete