11 May 2012

Life of Art SitRep #118 Small Scale Clarity

So it's true, when you make to-do lists, you get more done. Naturally, there's a catch. Several, no doubt, but here's what's working for me so far:

Start with a to-do list for 1 day. (Today or tomorrow.) This lets you focus on the present and small accomplishable tasks. Big picture items that will take longer are fine, just break them into small steps so you can chip away at them over time without getting overwhelmed.

Include things which are already part of your daily schedule. For example, I get up and do some easy yoga most every day. By putting "workout" on my list, I get to cross something off right away which is satisfying and gives me some momentum for the rest of the tasks. I also include things like appointments and errands.

Have a reasonable expectation of what you can accomplish in one day. I'm pretty good at this but trial and error will help you out if you need it. Start by listing more than you think you can do. Generally people underestimate themselves in this regard. You don't have to cross off everything on your list by day's end, but I'd suggest tweaking your list length until you're getting at least 3/4 of it done. The main thing is that you don't want to be stressed out by what's left on your list. At least I don't.

Including some fast, easy tasks provides momentum when you need a break from more time consuming tasks.

Include something fun or relaxing on your list. If there's something you want to watch on TV or read or a game you want to play, put that on there. It'll give you something to look forward to and let you take a break or wind down. It's just as valid a part of your day as anything else.

What I'm liking most about the daily to-do lists I've been making is that they give me a sense of when I've done enough. And that's pretty great. I still have adjustments to make to my list-making, but this was a productive start.

I added 131 new products to my Rocklawn Arts shop including the final skins for electronic devices from my existing designs and a new design, Blue and White Chevrons.

Tweeted and FB'd a sale:
Rocklawn Arts is having an epic sale this week in honor of teachers. If you're not a teacher, don't fret! You can use the sale code too. :)

60% OFF Prints and Calendars (You can customize calendars to start at any month you choose.)
50% OFF Buttons and Magnets
40% OFF Folio Planners, Notebooks, and Notepads
30% OFF Binders and Labels (Return Address, Shipping, Gift tags)

Use code: TEACHERSWEEK
Offer is valid until May 13, 2012 at 11:59pm PT.
Shot 37 photographs.

There was a bunch of other stuff as well, but blogger's getting glitchy and if I finish this post I get to cross it off, so I'm going to do that before this gets lost. Select All and Copy, folks, before you hit that publish button!


Two years ago on TTaT: When Star Wars and The Simpsons collide

No comments:

Post a Comment