28 July 2011

Life of Art SitRep #77 Going Green

Every week, I work towards creating a life of art for myself. This is the zigzag filled journey.

Play along in the comments with your own pursuits if you'd like. (That's where I'll cheer you on.)
*******
This week, I

  • Shot 159 photographs: raindrop abstracts, flowers, moth. Imported using Adobe Bridge for the first time and renamed them. Figured out how to add keywords. Pretty cool. You can learn about Bridge in the free-to-download Appendix C of the Photoshop CS5 Missing Manual.

  • Created a new product line.

    Out photographing after a summer rainstorm, I was drawn to the bold pattern of moss on bark. The aging pine tree bark has faded and lost some of its outermost layers. Vibrant green moss is growing in vertical grooves in the bark. The macro photograph shows the alternating stripes of bark and moss as well as the texture of each. The bark is layered, scaly, with fine gradations of color: grays, browns, and even pale green. The moss is comprised of myriad short fine hairs, as though the tree wanted some green fur highlights.

    The color photograph Pine Tree Bark With Moss is now available in my shop on a variety of customizable gift items: iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad cases, prints/posters, cards, postcard, mugs, mini speakers, t-shirts, tote bags, magnets, buttons, stickers, keychains, mouse pad, return address labels, and stamps:
     
    Check out the complete collection of Pine Tree Bark With Moss products.

  • Tweeted, FB'd, zblogged Pine Tree Bark With Moss.

  • Made new versions of Adobe Passageway, After Hockney, After Hockney - Black and White cards that include easy-to-personalize message templates. Some of my older cards are blank by default which makes them a bit more involved to customize for someone unfamiliar with the site. Been meaning to fix that. Three's a start!

  • Read a few more chapters of Photoshop CS5: the Missing Manual by Lesa Snider. Now way I will finish all 700+ pages before it's due Monday, but I've learned a lot from it already. I've been teaching myself Photoshop piecemeal for years, but this is the best source for explaining how and why to do things I've come across. Any other books I should check out before getting this one?

  • Submitted my link to 17 lenses.

  • Tweeted and FB'd some sales.

  • *******
    How are your pursuits going?


    A year ago on TTaT: Cemetery clouds

    2 comments:

    1. One day when I'm not crying about the price of textbooks (seriously? Like I am even going to open thing and learn, why do I have to pay $250 for it?) I will buy something.

      Because it's all SO pretty!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much for the kind words, Sarah! I really appreciate the vote of support. :)

      And $250 for a textbook!?! Insane!

      Down the line if you would like to buy something- no pressure- here's how to get the most bang for your buck:
      1. Follow me @RocklawnArts for current sales.
      2. Check the Coupons page on Zazzle for more codes.
      3. When you're ready to order something, sign up for a free 30 day trial of Zazzle Black to get unlimited free standard shipping for the month.

      The day after Thanksgiving (and the days after that) tends to have some of the biggest sales of the year though they tend to be in short time windows like 2 hours. Hope that helps!

      ReplyDelete