21 June 2017

A Low Growl

Went for a walk today and when I reached the top of the hill, I heard a low growly bark. I paused scanning the area but couldn't see the dog past the bushes and landscaping.

I continued, slowly.

I heard the jingling of dog tags and paws on the driveway to my left jogging towards me at a good clip.

"Rosco, no," said his owner, also out of view. However, I could hear that Rosco was still coming.

When I reached the opening to the drive, I saw the sizable black dog charging towards me.
Here it's worth noting that I've had issues with dogs in my life. I like them but the first dog I gave a hug when I was little bit me in the forehead. The dobermans next door used to chase me up trees. The airedale we had was as tall as I was standing when he was sitting down, and he terrorized me, no doubt, for the sake of play but it was never fun for me.
I stopped at the end of the driveway, and in a calm voice told Rosco, "Hey, you know me. It's fine."

For once, the mantra "show no fear" didn't even cross my mind because I didn't feel it. Nor was I tensed and prepared to fight Rosco if he were to attack. I didn't even feel my heart rate pick up.

Rosco slowed down and stepped right in front of me blocking my path. He leaned into me, and I tentatively patted his head with one hand and petted his back with the other. The dog shifted and I said, "So you want to step on my foot?"

His owner having caught up to us said, "That's what he likes best. Sorry about that. Rosco."

Rosco took a few steps away from me.

"You can't lie down in the road," his owner said and Rosco turned around.

I continued walking, we were right by the circular turnaround at the end of the road. Rosco was lying in the shade under a bush at the end of his drive when I passed him on the other side of the road.

He didn't bark or growl at me that time.


10 years ago on TTaT: Noticing oddities

No comments:

Post a Comment