05 May 2012

Curly Girl: The Handbook

Curly Girl: The Handbook23. Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Recommended for the curly-haired folks out there. There are even chapters dedicated to kids, guys, and chemo curls. The expanded second edition also includes a video with demonstrations on it.

I knew some of the tips from the web already (naturallycurly.com), but I haven't tried them all yet. Massey explains why they are important, and I'm pretty much on board.

Using an old t-shirt or a microfiber towel instead of a terry cloth towel to dry your hair is definitely worth doing. I gave up brushing/combing my hair a couple years ago, so I know that helps. Giving up the suds of shampoo will be harder, but I'm ready to try a sulfate-free cleanser and botanical conditioner once I track some down.

The book also includes tips for trimming your own hair and recipes for a variety of hair potions.

Strewn throughout are both a myriad of hair puns and various curl confessions. I found the confessions from curly haired people interesting. They reminded me of all the times I would look at haircuts and pick ones that were straight. I wasn't teased about my curls growing up, but for whatever reason, I always wanted them to be different.

I like my curls now but was sort of resigned about them as well. This book encourages me to think they can look better. I look forward to trying out her routine and fine-tuning it for myself.

Worth noting: she has routines for several curl types. Though she describes the different curl types and gives a method for determining your curls' spring factor, my curls have qualities of different types. For me the spring factor is less helpful because my hair is short. Shouldn't be a big deal even if I pick the wrong routine to start with though as they are all similar.

The book has lots of pictures to help you out. Definitely worth a read if you're fighting with or straightening your curls.


A year ago on TTaT: A mind of my own?

No comments:

Post a Comment