19 March 2010

Life of Art SitRep #6

A series to mark what I did to further my pursuit of a life sustained by my art each week. Committing to these posts is a commitment to action, because to have content for them, I have to do something. Every week.

If you have any sort of goal you're pursuing, feel free to share your efforts of the past week in the comments. Encouragement is also welcome.

*******
This week, I
  • Catalogued and sleeved 10 rolls of negatives. Removed their irritating packaging.
  • Fought with Dad's old scanner for a long while and did not produce 1 satisfactory scan of negative with sprockets so abandoned that route.
  • Prepped flame flower canted and regular shots for my shop, uploaded them. I'd like the flower name for the titles but haven't found it yet or settled on an alternative.

  • Anyone recognize these flowers? They were 2 ft. high, maybe more. Leaves are like wide tall grass blades, like daffodils have.

  • Shot 304 photos. Grokked that I need to buy a better camera than the borrowed point & shoot digitals I use if I want these photos to have a life beyond cards, postcards, and the blog. Nikon or Canon? Full frame DSLR speaks to my clarity of vision but would I really lug such a thing enough to justify the expense? Or even a consumer DSLR? I really miss my analog lenses with DOF markings but doubt they'd work with Nikon or Canon bodies.
  • Received wet package, made sure all of my scanned negatives were returned. Wrote email of frustration to customer service. Re-sleeved, filed most.
  • Scanned 10 sketches.
  • Drew 3 sketches.
*******

What did you do to pursue the life you want this week?


Two years ago on TTaT: Time to move?

9 comments:

  1. I left a comment on Claire's blog, once again expressing my sincere wish that she make it to TequilaCon this year so we can meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments encouraging me to go to TequilaCon are well remembered and appreciated. My ambivalence is epic and multi-faceted.

    Should've gone when it was in Philly and driveable... 2 years ago? But I didn't know you then. sigh.

    I do want to meet you guys. Just have to decide what argument I'm going with: rational, rationalized, gut (although it should be 2 categories since it could go either way), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -
    I actually visited your blog to finished an answer I'd promised about a dreams of yours, but first feel compelled to recommend a panasonic camera, even a used one. They're really amazing for their size. I used to love film, and would soup my own negatives - having eventually chosen the handful of lenses that I liked best. Digitizing from film is never always somewhat of a disappointment. It's best if you have one of the scanners that is specifically designed for negatives. Even better when you are shooting something larger than 35mm. But shooting direct to ditigal if much better than it used to be, and even the cheap cameras have enough pixels for web.

    Now, I remember your dream about being hanged under the Christmas tree, under your brother's watchful eye. I had promised to ask a friend of my who has some professional experience. She's a social worker who is planning to complete studies as a Jungian analyst.

    Aha! she said - it's not that unusual, and could be easily easily explained via mythological associations, but she then refused to provide an interpretation because the matter is "too delicate" and would need to be understood in personal terms that would require a real understanding of the dreamer. She recommended the book "Inner Work" by Robert A. Johnson - becuase he provides a method to help you get around the pitfalls of self-analysis. There are a lot of sites that discuss it on the web. Here's a good one:
    http://innerworkjohnson.blogspot.com/2007/06/dream-3.html

    Finally you ask a good question at the end of today's post:

    "What did you do to pursue the life you want this week?"

    I asked myself a similar question early today, and made onje of the contacts I need to make to set up a political rally for an unusual campaign. Then I called my friend to get you and answer.
    Before I get to sleep I hope to at least start on the press release I was supposed to have written last week for a new website that I've been preparing offline for quite a while. In spite of my investment of time and money thus far it seems hard to finally make the public announcement. If I can get past this obstacle, I'll make it to the "Next Level".

    until then,

    ciao

    Realo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, I should have previewed my previous post. hope you get a chuckle from the typos. perhaps I will also learn how to type sometime before I crash 2nite -:)

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Realo! I remember you and the dream. "Mythological associations" -- dig it. I'll take a look at the Inner Work site when I get a chance. Please pass on my thanks to your friend.

    Thanks for the panasonic recommendation. I'll keep it in mind.

    Good luck with all your projects! Small steps add up over time, you've just got to start taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want another argument to factor in while you use your powers of reason, here's one: chances are this is it. There might not be another TequilaCon. And we'd really be going out on a high note if you were to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, really? Or is it more of a metaphysical we-could-all-die-tomorrow thing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had drinks with Brandon last month and he said that this is it for him. Given that he packed up his blog(s) and his Twitter account I'm tempted to believe he's serious. Since the origin of TequilaCon was all based around Brandon and Jenny's original meet-up in Chicago, and then carrying the torch from there -- just seems sort of silly to keep it going if one of the founders is bowing out permanently. I just don't think any of us would find the heart to keep doing it.

    Anyway. Please do consider.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh. FWIW, I don't think it'd be silly to continue since so many people have gone in past years. It's bigger than 1 guy, y'know? Sigh.

    Nonetheless, TQ's possible end will weigh heavily in the go-this-year column.

    ReplyDelete