06 October 2009

Whip It

I saw the trailer for Whip It once several months ago, and I'd forgotten the particulars of story and casting revealed therein except that it was about women in roller derby and Drew Barrymore's directorial debut. Saw it this afternoon and bloody flippin' loved it. I would see it again in the theater. Well done, Drew, the cast, crew, and screenwriter Shauna Cross!

Roller derby is brutal in a way that makes me think I'd never do that, but I'd like to think that I could. I can see how the physicality of it--hitting and being able to take hits--would be empowering. At the very least, it made me want to put on some skates. Really too bad "The Rink" went out of business decades ago.

Whip It has an impressive cast, lots of great action, and a well told story. There were story pitfalls I feared were coming but they never did. Definitely worth checking out.


A year ago on TTaT: Coruscation

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of it until Barrymore and that Juno girl were on a cover of a magazine I get. I saw a preview last weekend and thought it looked good! I am going to put it in my netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I suppose it doesn't take all that long for movies in the theater to come out on DVD anymore.

    ReplyDelete