04 September 2008

First bad picture to date

That's pretty impressive considering this is probably my sixth license across three states. At least I didn't have to take the written this time; they charge extra for that here. An eye test, proof of residency, and ninety bucks later, I was sitting in the chair for my photo.

"Look here. Are you ready?"

I found the lens and though I don't recall saying, "Ok," I think I did. I was expecting that to be followed by the "one-two-three" click. It wasn't. There on a screen before me was the picture she'd just taken. I looked awful.

"How's this?"

"Could we try one more?"

"Sure. Are you ready?"

I wiped the back of my hand over my forehead to make it less shiny. I felt her urgency even though they weren't really busy.

"Ok."

Again, there was no count but there did seem to be a longer pause. No flash. Had she tried and it hadn't gone off? I started to raise an eyebrow. FLASH.

Now both pictures were on the screen side by side. The new one actually looked worse. Neither looked like me.

"How's that?"

"Sure." Which in this case should be interpreted as "whatever."

The moral of this story is that you should not go to get a new license when you're not feeling well because you didn't sleep well even if the website indicates there is no wait time for registration [there wasn't] and only a 3-4 minute wait for licensing [also true]. Having spent hours in DMVs across the country, the opportunity was too hard to pass up.

She printed out my temp ID including a black and white version of my photo. It could be worse; the color version probably will be now that I think about it. Oh well, I was due. The last five weren't just not bad, they were quite good.


A year ago on TTaT: Ruins where I can get them, Vol. 1

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate how they don't care if the picture looks crappy. Oh well though, right? :P

    ReplyDelete