16 May 2008

Lick the light switch

So I've been watching Wonderfalls on dvd again, and I'm reminded just how sad I am that they cancelled it. I actually caught the four episodes they originally aired even as they jerked the show around the schedule from week to week. Stupid tv execs.

In the dvd commentary, the creators talk about some of the story lines they had planned for later in the series, and they sound offbeat and twisted, i.e., great. All is not lost, however, as the whole 13 episode first season is available on dvd. Since the writers knew the show's fate before they finished filming, they were able to tie up most of the major threads, so you can watch these episodes and not feel ripped off by some cliffhanger ending as often occurs in cancelled shows.

Set in Niagara Falls, Wonderfalls is the story of Jaye Tyler, an over-educated, underemployed, disaffected 20-something whose life is changed despite her best efforts the day inanimate objects start talking to her, coercing her to do things which may or may not be in the best interest of those around her. It's a silly premise, but the ways it plays out really makes me feel for these characters. (Yes, I have a bit of a crush on Jaye. Happy birthday, Caroline Dhavernas! (belated technically))
Jaye: What if we're too late? What if he's already beat her to death with a bag of oranges for withholding trick money?
Eric: Well, if she had any trick money I don't think she'd be living in a barrel. I know I wouldn't be.
Jaye: Yes, but maybe she's just a lazy whore. That happens, right? They can't all have hearts of gold and good work ethics.
Good times, watch it!


3 years ago on TTaT: tip of the week- financial information

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite shows. I suppose we should feel lucky that it was ordered as a complete season so that it didn't get cancelled after episode 3, which seems to be happening a lot. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how they expect people to get on board with new shows so quickly, particularly with shows that start mid-season or later with little promotion. Sigh.

    I'm glad for what Wonderfalls we've got though; I see so much of myself throughout that cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete