22 May 2008

Again with the passive-aggressive?

There is no taking back a first reaction with my Mom. When she suggested Zed, a restaurant that doesn't serve much I like, I said, "Really?" hoping there'd be an alternative.

Then she asked where I wanted to go, but I didn't have a strong opinion about what I wanted to eat. Dad suggested a couple places.

I said, "Oh, they have barbecue chicken pizzas at Zed. I could have that. Or either of the places Dad mentioned would be fine. Or we could go to Mimsy's."

"Well, let's just go to Zed since that was your mother's suggestion," Dad said.

"Sounds good," I said.

"No one wants to go to Zed," Mom said.

"That's not true," I tried to explain, "Dad never said he didn't want to go there, and it sounds fine to me. I thought of something I could have."

"No, let's just go to Mimsy's, and some other night you and I can go to Zed," Mom commented to Dad.

I tried to convince her Zed was fine, which it would have been, but she wouldn't accept it. When we sat at our booth in Mimsy's, Mom said, "I should've stayed home," and I wanted to throttle her. Then I thought, I should've stayed home.

To some, my initial reaction may have seemed passive-aggressive, but I was just expressing what I felt in the moment, and I was true to that throughout. By the end of that conversation (the above version is abridged), I wanted to go to Zed and had expressed that as clearly as I could. However, Mom wanted to be a martyr, so we went to Mimsy's and dined under her cloud of wronged silence.

Just because I have a gut reaction does not mean it is permanent and unmalleable. Also, if I concede to your wishes over mine, I mean it and will be gracious about it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the martyrdom. . . I know this so well. It's like genetic in my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE HATE HATE talking about where to eat with family. Someone always ends up unhappy, and it just ruins the whole meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sizz: I sympathize!

    kilax: We're pretty good usually; mom's the one to watch out for. I should've known better than to let my guard down and just say what I was thinking before I'd thought it completely through. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete