12 March 2007

Not light reading

Nor is it actually a book, but since I've included the occasional graphic novel towards my year totals in the past, I'm going to count this as well.

5. Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls (3/5)
The proliferation of sexualized images of girls and young women in advertising, merchandising, and media is harming girls' self-image and healthy development. This report explores the cognitive and emotional consequences, consequences for mental and physical health, and impact on development of a healthy sexual self-image.
Back in 1993, I read Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women. I took it very seriously at the time and discussed it over dinner with my folks when I was home for spring break. There's actually an 8 mm videotape of that dinner in which I give my dad a seriously hard time. As example of his wanting me to be more passive and ladylike, I cited the Christmas that he bought me a drawing table instead of the punching bag I'd asked for when I was 13. (Trust me, if I could play that tape and stand to see myself be so self-righteous, it would be a vlog right now.)

Reading the APA Task Force's report 14 years later, I can see how many of these images, ideals, and behaviors I've internalized over time as just how things are. I'm not overweight, my upper body is even on the thin side, but my stomach could always be flatter, my thighs thinner, my ass more toned. My eyebrows could be more diligently plucked, and the wrinkles on my neck can drive me to bouts of self-loathing. I feel like I should dress better, but at the same time I don't want to be sexually objectified because of what I wear.

It still gets to me.

That's why it's good to be reminded now and then with quantified research of the prevalence of sexualization of women and girls and its consequences. On the upside, the report also offers positive alternatives which can combat the negative effects and makes recommendations for areas in which further research is needed.

If you don't have time to read the whole thing but are interested, check out the executive summary.

tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Here's how a friend and I summarized the strides that feminism has made in our schizo culture: "I still hate my fat ankles, but now I hate myself for not loving my fat ankles."

    ReplyDelete