13 March 2007

The add-on


"Do you have any books that need to go back to the library?" I asked.

"You can take those back if you want," Mom replied, gesturing to a stack on the microwave, then adding, "Oh, and you can get lottery tickets while you're out." As if the former were optional and the latter, mandatory.

Did she not just hear my question? It was not: what sundry errands would you like me to perform while I'm out. The add-on routinely pisses me off, and unfortunately, it shows.

She huffed, "Fine, then we won't get lottery tickets."

It's not that picking up lottery tickets would be a big deal; I'd just prefer that she ask if she wants something other than what I offered, and that she be open to the possibility I might say no.

One year ago at TTaT: Pie, please
tags: , ,

2 comments:

  1. But if you do the add-on despite the injustice, maybe she'll split her winnings with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She would anyway 'cuz she's cool like that, and I am trying to learn to be gracious about add-ons. I'll get there one of these days... ;)

    ReplyDelete