10 November 2017

Life of Art SitRep #404 Overhaul

This week may not look like much, but I made a critical mental shift wherein I've started changing my approach including a major overhaul of my store's layout. Rocklawn Arts still contains all the products it did before though there are less categories visible on the home page.

On the Products Page, you can see all the product types under the Department drop down menu and all the categories under the Category drop down menu. When you choose a Department, new subdivisions will appear in the drop down menu.

Basically I'm transitioning from categories grouped by design established over years with thousands of products to categories grouped by product type. It will be an ongoing process. Right now I'm working out what my top level categories should be.

Last week this seemed utterly daunting, but this week I began with smaller steps. I rearranged the categories some, made all but 6 invisible to improve the appearance on mobile devices.

I added subcategories to the Calendars folder and used product images for the category images.

Also redid the Fabrics folder some, reorganizing and adding a few invisible subcategories available in the drop down menu.

Made several subcategories in Winter Photos invisible though their products still appear.

Moved red & green designs to Holiday Designs category. It's still subdivided by design rather than products for now.

Created an iPhone X case with a Prussian Blue Watercolor Scale Pattern:

Made Striking Case-Mate iPhone X Cases collection:

Rocklawn Arts blogged New Striking Case-Mate iPhone X Cases collection.

Spent some time soaking in some business education and doing a bit of research.

Also made monthly backups.

How was your week? Have you backed up lately?


10 years ago on TTaT: In case you didn't know, I support the WGA

No comments:

Post a Comment