26 February 2014

What Doesn't Kill You...

I kind of hate the saying, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Kelly Clarkson song, but when I hear that phrase I think in most cases the truth is: What doesn't kill you wasn't ever going to.

I.e., what's emotionally uncomfortable isn't going to kill you.

So stop reinforcing the idea that facing things that won't kill you potentially could.

And where something might kill you? What doesn't kill you probably causes wounds both physical and emotional that take time to get over if that's even possible. It may lead to taking better care of oneself which eventually leads to being stronger, but that's not a given.

Curiously, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a steadfast story component of every anime show I've seen that involves special powers or mystical weaponry. The hero engages in a battle and gets beaten to within an inch of his/her life and only then is able to access greater wells of power than previously available which, naturally, leads to victory. The sentiment is alive and well in Japan also it seems.

But if we go back to "what doesn't kill you" as a metaphor for "what's emotionally uncomfortable," then we're looking at the nature of all change in life.

A better saying might be:
Adapting to change makes you stronger.

That I could believe.


A year ago on TTaT: Bowie and Swinton

No comments:

Post a Comment