15 April 2010

Sketchbook, page 18

(Previous pages)

The process of filling a 120 page sketchbook by year's end continues:

"p.61 of Swords of the Samurai: The Splendours of Japanese Sword Furniture by Lumír Jisl"

Wanting something different from my various how-to-draw books, I pulled this book off the shelf at home. I was expecting lots of pictures of cool swords, but mostly it's plates of decorated guards (tsubas): cool to be sure, but not what I had in mind to draw that day.

However, I did find a diagram of the parts of a Wakizashi sword and tsuba which I copied for my drawing. "Copy" sounds all trace-y and wrong; I looked at an image and tried to draw it as well as I could, just like I do for any sketch from life.


A year ago on TTaT: Where is my compassion?, All in the details

No comments:

Post a Comment