15 September 2009

Spring Breakdown rundown

I'm pretty sure I saw a trailer of Spring Breakdown somewhere along the line which made me think, "What. are. they. doing?" A month or so ago, however, I read about it online and saw all the great talent involved and decided to give the DVD a shot.

Rachel Dratch of SNL was one of its writers and also acted in it.

I pretty much knew all of the cast from somewhere and liked them all:
Parker Posey, Amy Poehler, Amber Tamblyn, Jane Lynch, Seth Myers, Loretta Devine, Will Arnett, Sarah Hagan, Justin Hartley...

How much I liked the movie caught me off guard since broad comedies aren't really my thing. Spring Breakdown definitely resonated with me because I never went on spring break and I'm the age of the women in the film who get their second chance at it.

Sophomore spring break, I had mono. I was also sick senior year but spent it traveling for a grad school interview. Freshman year, the tight friendships I'd had in the fall had fallen apart by then, and junior year, I didn't have the cash to get to a warm beach. Not that booze, crowds, and beach in combination was something I wanted to do anyway. Doesn't have much appeal now either.

The Dinah, "the world's largest girl party," is often called lesbian spring break. I wouldn't rule out attending because I'm certain it's a sight to behold, but it's also lots of crowds and drinking. Did I mention that I don't really drink? Being around drunk folk: not entertaining to me nor a good way to pass the time.

And yet... that I don't happen to like most alcohol sometimes feels like a failing on my part. If only I drank... I'd have a reason to be in a bar, I wouldn't think twice about going to a TequilaCon, I'd've gotten more work in LA... The last may seem far-fetched, but I know it to be true from hearing about jobs my friend got over beers. "Friend" is used loosely here because he was always evasive about any high-paying work he got. In the LA film industry, beers=networking, as well as for many other places I imagine, professionally or socially. Too bad it tastes like swill.

Did you ever go on spring break? Did it live up to your expectations? Would you want to go again? Or if you never went, would you want to now? Or to go to some age-appropriate equivalent? Have any of you been to The Dinah?


A year ago on TTaT: Twos

No comments:

Post a Comment